Contact Us

*

*

*


Other Articles

1. Cancertame Ayurvedic Formulation
2. What is Chemotherapy?
3. What is Radiotherapy?
4. Role of Ayurveda in Cancer Treatment
5. Genesis of Cancer
6. Early Detection of Cancer
7. Diet, Nutrition & Cancer
8. Tobacco Smoking & Cancer
9. Conventional Treatment of Cancer
10. Soft Tissue Sarcoma
11. Mesothelioma
12. Skin Cancer
13. Bone Cancer
14. Leukaemia
15. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL)
16. Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia (CML)
17. Acute Lymphocytic Leukaemia (ALL) & Acute Non-Lymphocytic Leukaemias (ANLL)
18. Acute Myelogenous Leukaemia (AML)
19. Lymphoma
20. Multiple Myeloma
21. Breast Cancer
22. Prostate Cancer
23. Oral Cancer (Carcinoma of the Cheek, Lips & Tongue)
24. Carcinoma of the Salivary Gland
25. Carcinoma of the Paranasal Sinus
26. Carcinoma of Pharynx (Oropharynx, Nasopharynx and Hypopharynx)
27. Carcinoma of the Larynx
28. Brain & Spinal Cord Tumours
29. Primary Tumours of the Brain
30. Metastases in the Brain
31. Carcinoma of the Oesophagus
32. Thyroid Cancer
33. Bronchogenic Carcinoma (Lung Cancer)
34. Secondary Cancers of the Lung
35. Carcinoma of the Stomach
36. Liver Cancer
37. Gallbladder & Biliary Tract Cancer
38. Pancreatic Cancer
39. Kidney Cancer (Renal Cell Carcinoma and Nephroblastoma)
40. Urinary Tract (Transitional Cell Carcinoma) & Bladder Cancer
41. Carcinoma of Colon & Rectum
42. Primary Tumours of the Testis
43. Ovarian Cancer (Stromal, Germ Cell and Krukenberg's Tumour)
44. Carcinoma of Uterus
45. Cervix Cancer
46. Paediatric Cancers
47. AIDS Related Cancers
48. Carcinoma of Unknown Primary Site (CUPS)
49. Role of Nutrition in Cancer Treatment
50. Chinese Medicine in Cancer Treatment

More than 40 per cent cases of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) have the risk of developing cancer. The risk of cancer increases as the survival of the HIV infected patient prolongs. Genesis of cancer in the HIV infected patient is known as AIDS-defining event. The AIDS-related cancers include Kaposi's sarcoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in AIDS and carcinoma of the cervix & the anus. Studies have revealed that there is a much higher incidence of cervical cancer in HIV infected women. Similarly, the incidence of anal cancer is much higher in HIV infected men. It appears that infection of human papillomavirus in AIDS patients is the main cause of cancer rather than the immunodeficiency.

Kaposi's Sarcoma in AIDS

Kaposi's sarcoma was first described by Moritz Kaposi in 1872. It remained a rare tumour until its rising incidence was found in the AIDS patients. Kaposi's sarcoma in AIDS is a highly malignant tumour. It usually presents with multiple skin lesions along the skin flexures. The lesions of Kaposi's sarcoma in AIDS may be flat or raised with well-circumscribed margins and are red or violet in colour. These lesions are usually found in the mouth, hard palate and tip of the nose. Kaposi's sarcoma in AIDS may present as a bulky lesion in the lower extremity accompanied by oedema, pain and bleeding. Kaposi's sarcoma in AIDS usually involves the lymph nodes and the internal organs such as the lungs and the stomach. There may be enlargement of the liver and the spleen. Involvement of the stomach and the rectum may lead to intestinal obstruction, whereas the involvement of the lungs may lead to cough, breathlessness and pleural effusion. The infection with a virus of herpes family is the major cause of Kaposi's sarcoma in AIDS.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in AIDS

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in AIDS is a highly malignant tumour. In about 80 per cent cases of the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in AIDS, the tumour arises from B-lymphocytes, and in the remaining 20 per cent of the cases, it arises from the T-lymphocytes. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in AIDS usually involves extranodal sites such as the gastrointestinal tract, central nervous system, bone marrow and the liver.

Click here to go back to the list of all Articles


Add New Comment

*

*

*